On Sun, 28 Oct 2001, Richard Stallman wrote:

> I have no comments on vim from a technical standpoint, but its license
> includes a restriction that makes it not free software.  Unless the
> license is changed, please don't use vim.

What is this restriction? Would you please provide details or pointers?

On the other side, there are vim developers here. If you (developers)
know the reason for vim being 'non-free' please tell why you want the
'offending' clause in the license? (The phrases in quotations are in GNU
terms of course... ;)

> We want to make Emacs use Unicode internally and have designed some of
> the data representations.  But it is a substantial amount of work.
> We're looking for people to work on it; would any of you like to help?

The current Emacs codebase is really big. Some time ago I and some
colleagues wished to help with bidi-enabling the Emacs, but found that
it's very hard to start. Starting with a smaller codebase like vim's
really helps.

roozbeh

-