On 12 Nov 2001, Juliusz Chroboczek wrote:

> Tomohiro KUBOTA:
>
> TK> How about GBK and GB18030?  GBK is slightly more dirty than Big5
> TK> because C1 region is used for the first byte for 2 byte characters.
> TK> However, I think GBK is not so popular and GB18030 will be more
> TK> important in future (though I imagine GB18030 support is difficult).
>
> GBK is easy.  GB 18030 is slightly more tricky, but definitely doable.
> Same comment as above.
>
> TK> How about Johab?
>
> Don't know.  We'll see.

  It's marginally useful, but not necessary since I have yet to
find a single web page and receive a single *internet* email encoded in
JOHAB (except for some test pages I made for Mozilla). Moreover, __what
JOHAB can do for Korean Unicode/UTF-8 can do much better__.  There may
still be some  BBS' using Johab, though.  Much more useful is, although I
hate to 'endorse' MS's proprieatary extension, Windows-949/CP949/Unified
Hangul Code. There are numerous web pages and emails in this encoding
floating around the net disguised as EUC-KR (or a complete non-sense-name
of ks_c_5601-1987).

  Anyway, if you want to support JOHAB, you have all you need
since ksc5601.1992-3.enc is already in XF86 CVS. Its code-point
arrangement is similar to  Big5, GBK and Shift_JIS. So is Windows-949.

  Jungshik Shin