On Thu, 3 Jan 2002, Trond Trosterud wrote:
> ...One way
> out (while waiting for funding) could be for ISO to release standards
> relevant to individuals (like the IT software standards we discuss here),
> but keep high prices for standards only relevant to large companies (like
> standards for building things that you cannot build unless you are part of
> a big company, IT hardware standards, etc).

I have difficulty identifying "things that you cannot build unless you are
part of a big company", apart from (perhaps) some of the fancier telephone
switching hardware.  In particular, there are many small companies
building IT hardware.  It's not as easy for a small company to get into
the hardware business as it used to be, but it is still feasible;
moreover, encouraging this is important.

                                                          Henry Spencer
                                                       [EMAIL PROTECTED]