Hi,

At 29 Sep 2002 08:51:55 +0200,
Eric Streit wrote:

> > It is probably safe to assume that anybody who wants to avoid framebuffers
> > will not need UTF-8 support, though, so a config option for a stripped
> > down console that way might be useful.
> >

> if we implement a complete graphical environment in the framebuffer...
> it's a way to reinvent X11 ;)

Well, Linux already has framebuffer-based console.  Our hope is just
to expand it (or develop similar thing) for better support of Unicode.

Though Markus may stick to MES-* set, I think more characters (including
CJK and other Asians) is a good choice.

For example, 18x18ja.bdf in XFree86's CVS today is just about 4MB and
about 600kB when compressed.  When we know that this font (or similar
one, which will be in similar size) is mandatory for CJK people, I
imagine nobody would think this size is too large to be included in
Linux source code.

Other fonts (like Arab, Hebrew, Thai, Khmer, ...) will be considerably
smaller in size than CJK and they must be included.

On the other hand, italics and bolds can be omitted because they are
not mandatory for any countries or languages in the world.  Of course
I never insist Linux *shoud not* support italics and bolds.  I just
pointed italics and bolds will have lower priority.

---
Tomohiro KUBOTA <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
http://www.debian.or.jp/~kubota/
"Introduction to I18N"  http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/intro-i18n/