Danilo Segan wrote:
> > 2. Is there any known application which still uses ISO-8859XXX codesets
> > for creating file names?
>
> Many old (and new?) applications use current character set on the
> system (set through eg. LC_CTYPE, or other LC_* variables).  I'd
> suggest all new applications to use UTF-8.

This will mess up users who have their LC_CTYPE set to a non-UTF-8 encoding.
It is weird if a user, in an application, enters a new file name "Süß",
and then in a terminal, the filename appears as "Süà " (wow, it even
hangs my xterm!).

It is just as bad as those old Motif applications which assume that
everything is ISO-8859-1. This makes these applications useless in UTF-8
locales.

In summary, I'd suggest
  - that ALL application follow LC_ALL/LC_CTYPE/LANG, like POSIX specifies,
  - that users switch to UTF-8 locale when they want.

Bruno