Danilo Segan wrote:
> what are we
> going to do with filenames extracted from eg. a tar file?  If I send
> them a tar file with UTF-8 (or KOI8-R) encoded filenames, they're
> going to see a mess (or get their terminal to hang).

This problem should be solved by the 'pax' archive format. It specifies that
file names in it are stored in UTF-8. This means, the filenames are converted
from/to LC_CTYPE's encoding during packing and unpacking.

The GNU tar maintainer is working a GNU pax program. Maybe he will also
provide a command-line option for GNU tar that would perform the same
filename charset conversions (suitable for 'tar' archives with UTF-8
filenames)?

Bruno