Rich,

I would agree that the abuse of software patents is fundamentally
wrong and that patent reform is highly overdue.     I am doing
something about it.

However, I would prefer to see that discussion taken back to Groklaw.
We have already had two rounds with respect to International Characters
draft Covenant Not to Assert as well as my patent-based open source model.
http://www.cs.sfu.ca/~cameron/tech-transfer.html

The "obvious" application of vectorization to UTF-8 doesn't work,
because UTF-8 comes in variable length chunks.    Anyway, comments
on obviousness and prior art is invited as part of the Community Patent
Review process to which we've applied.
dotank.nyls.edu/communitypatent/

--
Robert D. Cameron, Ph.D.