Simon,

You asked about relevance.   The UTF-8 to UTF-16 bottleneck
is widely cited in literature on XML processing performance.

For example, in SAX processing, Psaila finds that transcoding
takes > 50% of XML processing time.
Giuseppe Psaila, "On the problem of coupling Java Algorithms and XML Parsers
17th Int. Conf on Database Systems and Applications, 2006.

--
Robert D. Cameron, Ph.D.
Professor of Computing Science