Hi,

----- Original Message -----
> On 13-07-31 10:46 AM, Andreas Schultz wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I've managed to rebuild a complete yocto linux kernel git tree from
> > the kernel-cache.
>
> Good to hear.
>

> > But how do move forward from here with upgrades?
> >
> > Lets assume my kernel tree was based on 3.8.1 and want to import 3.8.2.
> > It looks like on the yocto-linux tree a pull from upstream was made and
> > then a pull from every single branch was made. This is a lot of work,
> > is there a tool that helps or a different way to update all branches?
>
> The maintenance path issue was caused by your first statement. Building
> the complete tree from the kernel-cache. That's something that I typically
> only do when cleaning history, dropping features and jumping major
> kernel revisions.

But I want (or rather unfortunately need) to maintain my own tree. So how
do you carry out those maintenance tasks?

> If you are working with an existing version, starting with a clone of
> the linux-yocto-3.8 tree is the right thing to do. That way, when I
> track and update the -stable updates, or merge other features, you can
> simply fetch and merge the changes into your tracking tree.
>

> > Also, when I add new fragments to kernel-cache, how are they included
> > into the yocto-tree? Is there a tool or just a lot of manual merging?
>
> Do you mean the upstream tree ? If so, send them to the linux-yocto
> mailing list, where we can review and merge them, which means they'll
> be carried forward to any new tree that I generate and available to
> all users of the tree.

Most of the changes are for machines that are not in yocto (mostly
MIPS CPE's taken from OpenWRT), some others are for some obscure hardware
that we would like to keep in separate BSP's but provide a single source
tree to our users.

> If you are talking about your own tree, simply add them to the meta
> branch, in the "meta/cfg/kernel-cache/" directory structure, commit
> them, and update your SRCREV_meta and they are available.

Ahh, I see and I thought I had to run them through the scc script first.

Cheers,

Andreas

> Cheers,
>
> Bruce
>

> > Regards
> > Andreas

Dipl. Inform.
Andreas Schultz

email: a...@travelping.com
phone: +49-391-819099-224
mobil: +49-170-2226073

Travelping GmbH               phone:         +49-391-819099229
Roentgenstr. 13               fax:           +49-391-819099299
D-39108 Magdeburg             email:       i...@travelping.com
GERMANY                       web:   http://www.travelping.com

Company Registration: Amtsgericht Stendal Reg No.:   HRB 10578
Geschaeftsfuehrer: Holger Winkelmann | VAT ID No.: DE236673780