Hi Martin,

> After reading the 802.1.5.4 spec I was wondering if anyone knew how a
> device discovery works in a beaconless  PAN.  The section on Device
> Discovery in the spec states that "The PAN coordinator or a coordinator
> indicates its presence on a PAN to other devices by transmitting beacon
> frames.  This allows the other devices to perform device discovery".
>  From this I'm assuming that for beaconless PAN there is no device
> discovery and that it is achieved by statically configuring all devices
> to use the same channels and PAN Id?  Can anyone confirm this?

No, the term "beaconless" in this context means, that the coordinator
isn't sending its beacons periodically but only on request. If a device
needs to detect an active PAN, its send one or more beacon request
frames to the channels of interest. With this configuration the
Coordinator(s) need to listen on the channel for such an request and
replies with a single beacon. Because of this, the coordinator can't go
to sleep mode in this configuration.

Real Device Discovery is handled by higher protocol layers, the beacon
just tells your device, that there is an active 15.4 network. ZigBee for
examples defines an own ZDO-Object for device discovery, which works
with network broadcasts and should return a list of all active (and
sleeping) network devices.

Sascha.