On Mon, Jan 27, 2014 at 01:39:28PM +0000, Martin Townsend wrote:
> Hi Alex,
>
> So the current 802.15.4 implementation will try and send beacon
> frames but it doesn't support receiving beacon frames?
>
> I didn't see any type = 2 but that may be down to this problem in
> our receiver.
>
> SSH is over Ethernet so no 6LoWPAN fragmentation I'm afraid.  I did

ah ok, I thought some 6LoWPAN ssh connection. :D

> try ping6 with large packets but due to the problem in our receiver
> I was only seeing every other packet of the fragmented PDU.  What I
> did see looked ok though, both source and destination IP addresses
> were compressed.  It was using long 802.15.4 source/dest addressing
> mode, is this because the IP address are derived from the MAC
> addresses? When would it use the short addressing?

This is a little bit more complex. :-)

Currently on receiving side a short address will be correct
uncompressed, see [1].

On sending side only a broadcast short address will be using if
destination address is multicast. You can't use a long address here, see
[3]. That's another problem of the current architecture.

If you have an another stack != linux, then it's better to use long
address only.

> The version of Wireshark (1.10.2) I'm using shows the MAC header, it
> even decodes the frame control field :)
ah ok, sounds good.

- Alex

[1]