Hi,

I had a quick look on short addressing, does anyone know why RFC 6282 specifies one way of deriving IIDs from the short address:

"Short addresses are mapped into the restricted space of IEEE EUI-64 addresses
by
   setting the middle 16 bits to 0xfffe, the bottom 16 bits to the short
   address, and all other bits to zero.  As a result, an IID generated
   from a short address has the form:

      0000:00ff:fe00:XXXX
"

but RFC 4944 specifies a different way for SAA

 "All 802.15.4 devices have an IEEE EUI-64 address, but 16-bit short
   addresses (Section 3  <http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc4944#section-3>  andSection
12  <http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc4944#section-12>) are also possible.  In these
   cases, a "pseudo 48-bit address" is formed as follows.  First, the
   left-most 32 bits are formed by concatenating 16 zero bits to the 16-
   bit PAN ID (alternatively, if no PAN ID is known, 16 zero bits may be
   used).  This produces a 32-bit field as follows:

      16_bit_PAN:16_zero_bits

   Then, these 32 bits are concatenated with the 16-bit short address.
   This produces a 48-bit address as follows:

      32_bits_as_specified_previously:16_bit_short_address

   The interface identifier is formed from this 48-bit address as per
   the "IPv6 over Ethernet" specification [RFC2464
<http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2464>].  However, in the
   resultant interface identifier, the "Universal/Local" (U/L) bit SHALL
   be set to zero in keeping with the fact that this is not a globally
   unique value."

Cheers,
Martin.