On Thu, Apr 2, 2020 at 7:08 PM James Lockie <bjloc...@lockie.ca> wrote:
> On my Android phone I click on the connected network and "advanced" and it
> shows the "transmit link speed".
> Mine is 400Mbps (definitely AC).
> https://www.cyberciti.biz/tips/linux-find-out-wireless-network-speed-signal-strength.html/amp

Oh showing 57Mbit for one network right now

> There's no way you can wire it?

Believe me I wish it were easy.  It was a big accomplishment to get
the access point within 20 feet of where I am now.  Getting a wire
here will be a long term project though, with a fair bit of effort.
My last house was pretty trivial to wire to the teeth but this one is
a lot more challenging.

> Wired is so much better especially for vpn.

VPN has been fine on the laptops I've been using.   But finally wanted
my desktop from work so brought it home last weekend.

> You're using a 54g as AP?
> Is that only 802.11g?
> That is slowness right there.

Oh I know - it is only a stop-gap measure to get me going until I get
a decent wifi card.  I had one lying around already configured as a
bridge.

It is still faster than that TP-Link card though.

--
"You should sit in nature for 20 minutes a day.
 Unless you are busy, then you should sit for an hour"