ron minnich wrote:

Hmmm.... Dunno about the SMP. Ron and Eric perhaps can comment on that . I never messed with any of the smp stuff. Assuming the MSI board dosen't have something flaky with the SMbus to gain access to the SPD it should come up and "just work" YMMV of course.

smp has been working fine for years, no issue. ron

Well what I was trying to say is that I don't know if the 440bx code will do SMP. I don't remember seeing much of anything about smp in the 440bx stuff I looked at.

I know that all the code I worked on dosen't have a clue about smp. But it was all SDRAM detection stuff and some mouse/keyboard settings work. Perhaps thats much further on down the init chain and dosen't care about smp?

I do remember the serial ouput mentioning finding a CPU 0 so I may have just never needed to look in those areas.

In any case sounds like things are good to go for a test. Check out the lb 1 CVS tree and give it a shot.

On another note, the system I have here has its BIOS on a 256 kByte 32-pin PLCC flash device (AM29F002NT). Is this big enough?

Plenty big enough for linuxbios testing. Not big enough to put a kernel in so you will have to use etherboot or ide to load a kernel. But to test all the linuxbios stuff a kernel isn't necessary.

What package type do you have and is it soldered on or socketed? That part has a TSOP option as well as PLCC and DIP.

--
Richard A. Smith
[EMAIL PROTECTED]