On Monday 18 Jun 2007 11:58:52 Nadeem M. Khan wrote:
> On 6/18/07, jtd <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > I woul suspect that /lib is corrupt.
> > I had a similiar problem on a debian install with reiserfs while
> > testing for power outages.
> > Also afaik ext3 is less resilient than jfs.
>
> In rescue mode, running grep gives a segfault. Lately, even running
> mount gives a segfault. Mount was ok till yesterday.
>
> >From what I know, proc is mounted by the kernel on /proc. All that is
>
> required is the existence of a proc directory in /. I suspect
> something wrong with the kernel mechanism that mounts proc. I wanted
> to build a new kernel, but I don't see how that can be done from the
> rescue mode. The rpm command would complain of missing modules and
> compiling a tarball would be even more difficult.

Your userspace seems broken to me. I doubt it has anything to do with the 
kernel.

If you notice, the reason /proc isn't being mounted by the init script is 
because grep segfaults. I wonder if there is something like Gentoo's 
revdep-rebuild for Red Hat.

I'd run an fsck to start with. If necessary, restore from the superblock 
backup. Then I'd reinstall glibc and the lib packages.

-- 
----------------------------------------
Mrugesh Karnik
GPG Key 0xBA6F1DA8
Public key on http://wwwkeys.pgp.net
----------------------------------------

Attachment: signature.asc
Description: This is a digitally signed message part.

-- 
http://mm.glug-bom.org/mailman/listinfo/linuxers

Reply via email to