Dinesh Joshi wrote:

> Let me just cut to the chase and before reading my reply I'm putting
> in a disclaimer for everybody. I'm not a Microsoft supporter nor a
> hater. I'm a Linux enthusiast and a supporter of the Open Source
> movement / philosophy but I do not like when people go overboard
> without rationally explaining their statements.

M$ scores in Office due to its proprietary document formats. Does OO
have access to the entire document format as M$ has? Once it enters the
ODF arena, it could be evaluated better against OO. Same with all other
graphics softwares that use closed restrictive formats.

> Due to 1 & 2, you'll find a Virtual machine inside VirtualBox is able
> to inter operate far better with your real world infrastructure. Just
> a word of caution. This is a bleeding edge release and you ought to
> purchase their license since you're doing this in an office setup. You
> can try it for free under the PUEL.

I had used the Free version and it had some features reduced.

>> We use an MS Access based system (third party )for excise, i haven't come
>> across any package in linux as a replacement though am sure one could be
>> built.
>>

> All hail the mighty VirtualBox OR WINE. Ever heard of it buddy? Did
> anybody point you to it? Nah... everyones busy just shooting off smart
> ass remarks :)
>
> WINE has reached v1 release. Check it out. With the latest release I
> was able to install Microsoft Office suite ( 2007 or whatever the heck
> it is ) on Linux. It works like a charm. Heck I installed CS and it
> works far better than the native Windows install :)

Getting telephone support for these softwares ( custom Access packages )
running in wine can be a problem. The help center guys know only Windows
and all their instructions are for Windows only. If VBox works, that
would be a better option as one is fully inside a windows environment.
Even if the support guy has to sit on the machine to resolve an issue,
he can be given a virtual Windows system to play with.

However if one has to use closed source software anyway, officially they
would still need individual licenses for all their installations. This
beats the idea of freedom (From the license and quota Raj). Getting a
programmer to re-write the said application in FOSS would be a better
option.

--
Regards,

Rony.