On Thursday 25 December 2008 10:31, Dinesh Joshi wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 23, 2008 at 1:53 AM, jtd <j...@mtnl.net.in> wrote:
> > ???. Samba /CIFS works better than M$ network share. However you
>
> Ooh my boat is t3h bigger than you're boat. I rock. You suck.
> Right? :)

No. But you really suck. Noticed the distinct lack of a smiley. No?
heck never mind.

> Explain how exactly is SAMBA/CIFS better than a M$ share.

Stability....

> And how
> EXACTLY is a SAMBA / CIFS share different from a M$ Network share.
> Could you put in some performance numbers as well? ( If SAMBA /
> CIFS is actually different from M$ network share i.e. )

No i cant put in performance numbers (actually its lost some where in
the clients office). But I had done an informal study at a clients
place and found that M$XP (dont remember if it was sp2) share of a
disk block on a M$2003 server was much slower than a simliar share on
a linux box. It could well be because of crappy AV on the doze boxen,
but you might as well burn the machine without AV.
Prima face linux would beat doze because linux has superior file /
block handling and network infrastructure apart from the AV overhead
(now dont get started on numbers etc unless u wanna pay me to do the
study).

> > really dont need samba if u are using linux. NFS works very well.
>
> Again the case of my boat is bigger than your boat :)

Similiar informal tests with samba and nfs (both on linux boxes) found
nfs to win. Again i had not tweaked samba in any way (and i havent
botherd to check for tweaks either), but increased the nfs block size
to 64k (or some such) for even better performance.

> > the last proprietory bit. There are many FOSS alternatives with
> > mostly far superior features, but required learning new UIs and
>
> ooh...and the names of these alternatives are... ? ? ?

GEDA, pcb, alliance, kicad.

The point being made was that even if you have a performance hit with
FOSS applications NOW, in my experience, these hits go away quickly
as you remove the proprietory bits. The intangibles that come by way
of changing methodology only adds to the overall benefits.

--
Rgds
JTD