Wolfgang Denk wrote:
Dear Scott,

in message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> you wrote:
Well, the device tree is a mechanism for communicating from the firmware
to the kernel, and if we could control the firmware better we'd just make
it set the pins properly to begin with. :-)

Is this just a comment, or do you oppose Heiko's suggestion?

It was intended more as a gentle nudge to set up the pins in firmware when not constrained by existing firmwares in the field that must be supported.

Other uses of the device tree seem possible and reasonable, too.  For
example, we can use the device tree to configure the firmware (U-Boot
in this case).

Using the device tree  to  describe  the  pin  configuration  of  the
hardware  sounds  easier to me than hard-coding it in some source (or
header) file - no matter if this is  in  the  kernel  and/or  in  the
firmware.

What do you think?

I'm fine with putting it in the device tree for firmware's benefit, though I'm not sure I fully agree with the "easier" bit until we get support for expressions and named constants in dts, so that the flags would be less opaque.

-Scott