On Jun 3, 2008, at 10:36 AM, Scott Wood wrote:

Kumar Gala wrote:
On Jun 3, 2008, at 10:18 AM, Scott Wood wrote:
Kumar Gala wrote:
On Jun 3, 2008, at 10:10 AM, Scott Wood wrote:
I'd rather avoid adding another case where the kernel needs to know what modules are being built, though, especially if the result of changing the .config and building modules is a mysterious runtime failure (due to a missing platform fixup) rather than compile- or insertion-time.
I don't follow what you are getting at here. Is this something more than #ifdef PHYLIB in the platform code?

If you just #ifdef PHYLIB, then things will break if the user does this:
make config, GIANFAR=PHYLIB=n
make zImage
make config, GIANFAR=PHYLIB=m
make modules

And the cause of the failure will not be something that obviously points to a build problem, such as unresolved symbols.
what you are suggesting will not break with my patch.

Yes, it will -- note the absence of a "make zImage" after the second make config.

The second case will for PHYLIB=y w/the select.

And that will only make a difference if you rebuild the kernel itself after enabling the module.

I see. However, I don't like the idea I have to build in the PHYLIB if I don't need it at all. It seems like the type of breakage you are talking about exists today all over the place. I dont like it anymore than you do, but it seems to me the lesser of evils is to allow the user the ability to config things as they want.

- k