Kumar Gala wrote:
On Jun 2, 2008, at 3:30 PM, Jeff Garzik wrote:

Andy Fleming wrote:
I'm partial to the select-it-if-you-need-it paradigm.

AFAICS this can all be solved by the platform Kconfig ensuring that phylib=y

I don't care for this as it means making sure each platform/board port gets it right.

How is this different from any other kconfig dependency? It's not too hard to scan through your platform code and see what you call...

I think we'd be better off with a small stub that is always built into the kernel for phy_read/phy_write, etc or the function pointer indirection mechanism.

And then instead of build failures, you'd get a silent runtime failure to apply the workaround if phylib is built as a module.

-Scott