Christophe Leroy wrote:

Le 10/01/2022 à 11:07, Naveen N. Rao a écrit :
kernel test robot reported the below build error with a randconfig:
   powerpc64-linux-ld: arch/powerpc/net/bpf_jit_comp64.o:(.toc+0x0):
   undefined reference to `powerpc_security_features'

This can happen if CONFIG_PPC_BARRIER_NOSPEC is not enabled. Address
this by providing stub functions for security_ftr_enabled() and related
helpers when the config option is not enabled.

Looks like this can happen only when E500 is not selected.

But what kind of CPU do we have if it's not a E500 ?

AFAICS in cputable.c, if not a PPC32 and not a BOOK3S_64 is must be a E500 otherwise there's just no CPU.

This was triggered for a 64-bit build and the bug report is:
http://lkml.kernel.org/r/202201082018.actzm4jh-...@intel.com

The randconfig used is:
https://download.01.org/0day-ci/archive/20220108/202201082018.actzm4jh-...@intel.com/config

It just selects the generic cpu and BOOK3E_64:

#
# Processor support
#
# CONFIG_PPC_BOOK3S_64 is not set
CONFIG_PPC_BOOK3E_64=y
CONFIG_GENERIC_CPU=y
CONFIG_PPC_BOOK3E=y
CONFIG_PPC_FPU_REGS=y
CONFIG_PPC_FPU=y
CONFIG_BOOKE=y
CONFIG_PPC_MMU_NOHASH=y
CONFIG_PPC_BOOK3E_MMU=y
CONFIG_PMU_SYSFS=y
# CONFIG_SMP is not set
CONFIG_NR_CPUS=1
CONFIG_PPC_DOORBELL=y
# end of Processor support

Should we make Kconfig stricter instead to avoid the Robot selecting a crazy config ?

If that config is indeed not possible, it sure will be nice to prevent that.

- Naveen