Jean Delvare wrote:
On Wed, 16 Jul 2008 11:50:15 +0200, Wolfgang Grandegger wrote:
Jean Delvare wrote:
The problem is that at this point in time, only a couple hwmon drivers
have been converted to new-style i2c. So, dropping the I2C_CLASS_HWMON
would break most systems.

I have a set of patches converting most hwmon drivers to new-style i2c.
I plan to send it to Linus later today. Once all drivers are converted,
everyone can start adding device definitions to platform code. And only
once this is done for all platforms, you may remove I2C_CLASS_HWMON
from the i2c-mpc driver.
Of course.

But even then, you can't exclude the possibility that some people want
to keep relying on the auto-detection mode. In that case, the setting
I understood that this is only true for the HWMON devices. Why the special treatment?

Not really. There are other I2C_CLASS_* flags, just check <linux/i2c.h>.

What makes hwmon a bit different is the historical context. Originally,
the hwmon drivers were written for PCs, which have no per-system
platform code, so declaring the devices was simply not an option.
Additionally, i2c was maintained as part of the lm-sensors project
itself. This determined the probe-everything approach that has ruled
the i2c subsystem until recently. I've spent (with a few other
developers) the past few years drawing a clear separation between i2c
and hwmon, and now making it possible to declare i2c devices where
possible. This is a lot of work if you want to do this without breaking
any system out there (which is my case.)

I can image. Thanks for the explanation.

of the I2C_CLASS_HWMON flag should become an attribute of each i2c-mpc
device.
Yep, as probing might not be acceptable in some cases, I makes sense to add a property to suppress probing:

It'd rather make no-probing the default if possible. My understanding
is that all systems using i2c-mpc should have proper platform data.

Yep, unfortunately, HWMON devices are not defined in most cases.

But then again, that's not really my business. The decision is left to
the actual users of this i2c bus driver.

A RFC patch is in preparation.

Wolfgang.