On Aug 5, 2008, at 3:49 PM, Scott Wood wrote:

Arnd Bergmann wrote:
On Tuesday 05 August 2008, John Rigby wrote:
This will allow the eventual removal of device_type = "soc"
properties in soc nodes.
Stupid question, but why not remove immrbase instead?
It seems that all users can be converted to use a reg
property of some actual device instead of making assumptions
about the register layout of the whole SOC.

That wouldn't eliminate the need for the alias, though -- u-boot needs to find the node to fill in properties.

While I have no issue with the change. I'm interested to see how John plans on using this in u-boot.

- k