Stefan Roese wrote:
On Thursday 21 August 2008, Sean MacLennan wrote:
That's all output from the wrapper, not the kernel.  And the kernel
config doesn't make a difference at all to the wrapper.  I wonder if
there is some weird size issue going on there or if whatever U-Boot
version you are using is doing odd things...
Any chance something in the DTS could affect it? Maybe try commenting
out the second IIC controller?

Yes, I2C is generally working and should make a difference in Linux kernel booting.

It seems that your bootwrapper is somehow not copying the correct MAC address to the device-tree. Not sure what's going wrong here. We usually don't use the bootwrapper but boot the uImage directly from U-Boot on all 4xx systems.

You might want to debug the bootwrapper code, if possible drop the bootwrapper and use the uImage with a newer, device-tree enabled U-Boot version.

U-boot thinks that all memory above the first 8MB is out of reach for the kernel and puts kernel bootargs and boardinfo structure below 8MB as close as possible to this limit. Including the i2c driver into the kernel increases the kernel image size. So when u-boot unpacks the kernel to 0x400000 (Load Address: 00400000) it overwrites the kernel parameters. So when the kernel actually starts, it reads zeros instead of boardinfo (and mac addresses)

The 8MB limit is set for all AMCC boards in include/configs/amcc-common.h:
#define CFG_BOOTMAPSZ           (8 << 20) /* Initial Memory map for Linux */

I think this limit is obsolete and can be moved to at least 64MB.
But you'll need to rebuild u-boot.

Stefan, what do you think? Can we increase the default initial memory map for AMCC boards in the next u-boot release, since u-boot has all memory identity-mapped on ppc 44x?

Thanks,
Valentine.

Best regards,
Stefan