On Oct 9, 2008, at 7:43 PM, Paul Mackerras wrote:

Timur Tabi writes:

I'm waiting for someone to explain to me what's so special about CHRP
and PMAC that these two platforms should be enabled by default, when
all other PowerPC platforms are disabled by default.

Historically they have been the most important 32-bit platforms, along
with PReP.

The problem with making all platforms default to N is that if you take
the default values for all config options you end up with a config
that won't build.  So we want at least one platform to default to Y,
and pmac has been as good a choice as any for that (and probably still
is).

I've got no issue w/grandfathering CHRP or PMAC as default Y. However I DO NOT think we should default other platforms to 'Y' as that means updating configs will pick up platforms they dont want.

- k