Anton Vorontsov wrote:
This is exactly what we should try to avoid. We should not accept
any changes that might break older firmwares. That is, keep the
device tree workable with X1 and X2, by any means.

I think that's a much bigger restriction than trying to keep the kernel compatible with older device trees. Consider changes in the physical memory map, etc.

If X1 looks for "/soc8...@..."  and X2 looks for "/s...@...", so that
Z1 and Z2 aren't compatible at all, then we're in trouble. But we're
in trouble regardless of what Linux is doing, no?

Not if Linux can continue to deal with X1 and Z1.

-Scott