On May 5, 2009, at 7:56 AM, Morrison, Tom wrote:

Hi Kumar/Michael...

Sorry, I really didn't explain myself very well...

The Problem (answer to Michael):
================================
We started using a new compiler that upon -O2 optimization - added
heavy SPE related instructions into our applications (where the older
compiler might not use as many). Once this was done, we started
experiencing problems with data being 'shifted' and/or corrupted
throughout the applications which didn't immediately cause problems,
but either scribbled on someone else's memory and/or bad results...
We knew where one of the offending scribbles started (by the shifting
by 1 byte of a structure) and found by comparing binaries with 'older'
compiler vs. this one that the only major difference was the 'density'
of the SPE instructions...

As to your question, Kumar:
Naively, I explicitly enabled the SPE in a BSP 'early_init' program
(as well as enabling Machine Checks) - which is what I meant by
Enabling SPE...

Are you setting MSR_SPE in your own board code? If so stop doing so. There isn't any need or reason to be doing that. MSR_SPE will get set when an application starts using SPE code and the kernel will manage it properly.

- k