The root of the problem is that Apple OF will not open an stdout for you
on some machines if you don't enter OF manually, so yaboot text never
shows up. This was somewhat worked around by the ofboot.b script but
indeed, it seems to fail to check that there's a display to open before
actually opening it, which cause the failure you are hitting.

Check /chosen/stdout , if it's there and non-zero there is an open
output device (whether some screen or serial or telnet or whatever).
This is an ihandle.

Maybe we can try to make the script a bit smarter to detect that there's nothing there. Hard to tell, the arcanes of Apple OF are quite obscure.

I'll check them all (well, anything in the NewWorld) if you tell me
what to check.

Segher