On 02/06/2011 05:35 PM, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:
On Fri, 2011-02-04 at 17:25 -0600, Meador Inge wrote:
In a recent thread [1,2,3] concerning device trees for AMP systems, the
question of whether we really need 'protected-sources' arose.  The general
consensus was that a new boolean property 'pic-no-reset' (described in more
detail in a following patch) could be expanded to cover the use cases that
'protected-sources' was covering.

One concern that was raised was for legacy systems which already use the
'protected-sources' property [4].  For legacy use cases, 'protected-sources'
will be treated as an alias of 'pic-no-reset'.  The sources
encoded in the 'protected-sources' cells, however, will not be processed.  This
legacy check is added in a later patch in the series.

I'm a bit annoyed here. Why do we need to do that ? Those Cell machines

Apologies, that certainly was not the intent.

are going to be real bastards to find and test with, and I don't really
see the point...

The idea came up when submitting a patch for documenting an Open PIC binding. The following two properties were documented in that binding: (1) "protected-sources" and (2) "pic-no-reset". "pic-no-reset" is a newly proposed property with the intent of specifying from a device tree that the PIC should not be reset. The question of whether the one property, "pic-no-reset", would suffice for both purposes came up.

It seems reasonable that "pic-no-reset" could satisfy the use case that "protected-sources" is covering (since all of the sources that a particular machine is actually using are already explicitly mentioned in the device tree) and the use case of marking from a device tree that the PIC should not be reset. So it is not so much as a need as it is a potential simplification. It sounds like as a practical concern (several systems using "protected-sources" are already in the wild and testing considerations) that this may not be possible, which is fine.

The reason for not resetting the MPIC wasn't -only- about the protected
sources, but also because, from memory, some MPIC implementations had
issues when toggling the reset lines (pseries I think is one).

That's actually why the MPIC_WANTS_RESET flag is working the other way
around, only platforms that actually want the reset set it.

This is orthogonal to the need to touch or not touch the interrupt
sources as set by firmware. Yes, having protected sources probably
implies no-reset but the reverse isn't necessarily true.

So barring the removal of protected sources, does the inclusion of the "pic-no-reset" property seem reasonable?

Ben.

--
Meador Inge     | meador_inge AT mentor.com
Mentor Embedded | http://www.mentor.com/embedded-software