On 04/16/2015 12:44 AM, Bob Cochran wrote:
On 04/09/2015 06:31 PM, Scott Wood wrote:
On Thu, 2015-04-09 at 16:52 -0500, Pan Lijun-B44306 wrote:
Hi Maintainers,

We have a proposal for writing the defconfigs for freescale's
powperpc platforms in a new way.
Can you take a look and provide some feedback?

You know currently we have mpc85xx_defconfig, corenet32_defconfig,
bsc913x_defconfig, *fman*_defconfig, etc.
We are going to extract some common parts from the existing
defconfigs, and name it, say, fsl_basic_defconfig.
Then, we could create some defconfigs targeting specific features or
specific platforms.
Say, features specific: kvm_defconfig, fman_defconfig, etc.
Platforms specific: p1_defconfig, p2_defcongfig, p4_defconfig,
t1_defconfig, t2_defconfig, t2_defconfig, b4_defconfig, etc
When we want to make a kernel image for p1 platform,
Using the following steps:

make ./scripts/kconfig/merge_config.sh
arch/powerpc/configs/fsl_basic_config p1_defconfig
make

What do you think of this new approach?
Will you accept this approach?

I'm OK with a merge_config approach.

I'm not OK with having separate builds for p1/p2/p4/t1/t2/b4.

-Scott

As you probably know, Freescale makes use of the Yocto Project build
system for its SDK and submits patches to the SDK at a public
meta-fsl-ppc repo at
http://git.yoctoproject.org/cgit/cgit.cgi/meta-fsl-ppc/

I have seen some kernel related patches in the past come across the
Yocto Project site that made use of the Yocto Project kernel tools,
which includes a process for maintaining kernel configuration fragments.

Here is a link to a patch from a Freescale developer introducing Yocto kernel tool support (description files & configuration fragments) to the meta-fsl-ppc repo (FSL QorIQ SDK on Yocto).

https://lists.yoctoproject.org/pipermail/meta-freescale/2014-October/010890.html

  It sounds like the requirements you have could be met with Yocto's
existing process.

I was hoping to see Freescale continue to move in the direction of using
the Yocto kernel tools rather than roll its own solution.

The Yocto kernel tools make use of description files (*.scc) and
configuration fragments (*.cfg).

Here is a link to the latest stable Yocto kernel development manual:
http://www.yoctoproject.org/docs/1.7.1/kernel-dev/kernel-dev.html

Bob