On Sat, 3 May 2014 20:32:01 +0200, Richard Cochran wrote:
> 1. It is a good idea to let the client set the duration?

You wanted to get rid of the magic constant in ptp4l, this allowed me to
move it to phc2sys ;-)

Okay, seriously: I don't think this is a problem. It is limited to UDS
and the worst thing that can happen is attempting to send notifications
to a client when the client is long dead because it set too big value
and crashed.

As it is the client who knows when it will be able to renew the
subscription, it makes sense to be the client who sets the duration.

Obviously, the hyper correct way would be for the server to ack or deny
the request based on the duration value and internal policy, similarly
to e.g. bandwidth allocation in various protocols. I think it's
overkill for this case.

> 2. Should we perhaps use a 32 bit field for this?
>    As is, it allows only 18 hours.

I even thought about limiting the maximum value to a hour or so. The
client is supposed to renew the subscription, otherwise the time limit
would be useless.

 Jiri

--
Jiri Benc