Hi,

On Wed, 2015-02-25 at 16:48 -0800, Gary E. Miller wrote:
> Yo Jacob E!
>
> On Thu, 26 Feb 2015 00:32:27 +0000
> "Keller, Jacob E" <jacob.e.kel...@intel.com> wrote:
>
> > Yea, in general all you really want is HWTSTAMP_FILTER_ALL, it's a
> > much better implementation.
>
> So what is the minimmum for hardware mode timestamping?  Like this?
>
>     HWTSTAMP_TX_OFF
>     HWTSTAMP_TX_ON
>     HWTSTAMP_FILTER_ALL

HWTSTAMP_TX_OFF is always supported. HWTSTAMP_TX_ON is required for
Hardware Tx timestamps.

HWTSTAMP_FILTER_ALL is best, otherwise you need the requisite modes for
your configuration.

Mostly for V2 layer4, with End to end, you need
HWTSTAMP_FILTER_V2_SYNC and
HWTSTAMP_FILTER_V2_DELAY_REQ

For P2P delay protocol you need to be able to timestamp PDELAY_REQ and
PDELAY_RESPONSE messages,

and for L2 mode you have to be able to timestamp L2 equivalents of
these. The most general non-timestamp-all mode is

HWTSTAMP_FILTER_V2_EVENT

ptp4l will try HWTSTAMP_FILTER_ALL if its available and degrade to more
general filters until it finds either a working combination or exits
saying required mode isn't supported.

> > At any rate, I would love to see the full output of just ptp4l running
> > on the i217-LM without phc2sys and so forth interfering. Mostly I
> > would like to get enough information to see if we can rootcause why
> > that particular hardware was failing.
>
> That was in my email to linuxptp and you yesterday at 14:54.
>
> Want me to forward a copy?

The output you had there didn't showcase the actual failure with the
clockcheck showing a massive change in the clock. Either it didn't run
long enough or the failure case was triggered by phc2sys or some other
setup.

> > You might try the out of tree sourceforge module for e1000e on the
> > Intel e1000e sourceforge page, because it may (or may not) have bug
> > fixes compared to upstream. I honestly don't know what state upstream
> > e1000e is vs the source forge driver.
>
> No commits to e1000e n sourceforge since June 2014.  The 3.19 kernel
> files are Dec 2014.
>
> Many NIC choices in the world, I'm not gonna waste my time on any one of
> them.

Yep. Well, I'll try to forward what we do have to validation for that
part here. Thanks for the effort so far at least :) I understand that it
isn't worth too much effort on your end.

I am glad that you were able to get to at least a somewhat sane setup
finally.

Regards,
Jake