Yo Matthew!

On Thu, 26 Feb 2015 21:16:21 +0000
"Vick, Matthew" <matthew.v...@intel.com> wrote:

> >Yup.  And my hardware timestamping experience:
> >
> >  - I217-LM   HW bug
> >  - 82574     6 mSec or worse jitter
> >  - I210      300 to 900 mSec persistent offset
>
> Woah. I wouldn't have expected that (at least, I've never seen that
> with I210). That's approaching "broken BIOS/platform" levels of bad.
> If you could provide some more information (test environment, what
> you're connecting to, driver version, kernel version, platform, yadda
> yadda) for I210/igb we will forward it along internally.

I'll be out for the weekend, but briefly, here is my config:

# killall ptp4l phc2sys
# killall ptp4l phc2sys
# cat ptp.conf
[global]
clock_servo     linreg
uds_address     /var/run/ptp4l

# ptp4l -i eth1 -l 6 -m -f ptp.conf &
# sleep 3
# phc2sys -a -r -E ntpshm -m -M 2

Here is what chrony sees after running for 18 hours.

This is the I210:

#x SHM2                          0   4   377     8   -212ms[ -212ms] +/- 1000ns

This is a local reference clock over NTP

^* spidey.rellim.com             1   8   377   135    +10us[  +14us] +/-  182us

I do not have time now, but I have directly connnected a PPS source
previously and the spidey time is correct.  Spidey is PPS synced (jitter
~200 nSec) and my local grand master.  Other timestamp software slaves
of spidey see about 6 uSec or less of jitter and small offset.  So spidey
is rock solid in the uSec range.

> One other tidbit is that I210 supports EEE, which can affect jitter,
> although I wouldn't expect it on that level. You can try turning this
> off via ethtool (ethtool --set-eee ethX eee off) to see if that helps.

I'll try that next week.  But my problem is offset.  Plus chronyd doing
somthing wrong as no way there is 1000 nSec jitter, I can see the offset
jumping around!

RGDS
GARY
        g...@rellim.com  Tel:+1(541)382-8588