PTPd was the original implementation. It had no support for real hardware
timestamps. Some device drivers supplied “SW synchronized” hardware stamps that
were fudged to be in the kernel clock time domain. This was driver specific and
was not well documented or supported. Richard Cochran started trying to create
and expose the kernel interface we used today, and the PTPd project wasn’t
interested.

He wrote linuxptp at this time, and got the current hardware timestamp
implementation upstream. It is possible at some point PTPd started implementing
use of the PHC subsystem since then, I am not aware.

PTPd2 was started sometime after PTPd and was intended to support v2 of the
protocol, which at the time PTPd did not support (I have no idea if it does
now). I don’t think this version was maintained for very long. It also did not
support hardware timestamping.

As Ledda mentioned, RedHat backported the interface into their RHEL6.4 kernel,
which has allowed them to enable support LinuxPTP.

For Linux, I don’t think any other PTP daemon is as capable as LinuxPTP, though
I could be mistaken as I have since stopped researching the alternatives.

If you have configured ptp4l and phc2sys correctly, they should synchronize
fairly quickly. You’d have to show the configuration and output of these two
commands for us to further help you.

Regards,
Jake