> When I first looked at it, I made a conscious decision *not* to
> support it, because it appeared to me as a special hack for someone
> pulling strings in the standards process.

That's exactly our opinion.

> Do you mind telling us what HW is using the hardwareCompatibility bit?

In the audio streaming world there are several companies that try to establish
an
Audio over IP (AoIP)  standard. One of the early proprietary standards  (DANTE)
is using PTPv1 in
its devices.  In the last years there has been an overall standard developed
(AES67) that
uses PTPv2 instead.

So currently all companies try to adopt that AES67 standard by building
compatability-interfaces
into their products. Now, while that proprietary standard (DANTE) still
supports PTPv1 for its own
audio streams, it need to support PTPv2 for AES67 compatibility (to all other
manufacturers).
These devices have the hardwareCompatibility set in PTPv2 mode.

Since we are yet unsure if this is really necessary on their hardware (we still
have to check this out), there
may be a chance we need to have that bit supported by the linuxptp
implementation in a standard conform way.

Best regards
Henry Jesuiter