Hey Richard and others,

I've been recently investigating a setup where two ethernet devices with
support for PHCs have hooked up one GPIO pin from one device into a GPIO of the
second device. The intent was to have the first device trigger a PPS signal on
the pin, while the second device measures timestamps essentially replicating
what the /dev/ppsX devices do but scoped to the second device's clock instead
of under the system time.

I see that there's already code for tuning systime using a PPS device, but am
wondering what the best way to expose this setup. The goal is to use phc2sys in
order to tune the second device's clock from the generated timestamps of the
pps signal on the first device.

The end goal is to setup a boundary clock with higher precision than the jbod
setup (since we'd have the GPIO pin connection).

I'm thinking the best way is to use the external timestamp events setup, and
then plug that in as the pps source into phc2sys?

Does this make any sense, or am I paddling up the wrong creek?

Thanks,
Jake