...due to problems with direct attachments in this list, please
download the attachments mentioned in message text from here:
http://support.fccps.cz/download/adv/frr/ptp/i210_ext_pps.zip

On 13 Feb 2018 at 17:11, frantisek.rysa...@post.cz wrote:

> Dear everyone (maybe Mr. Cochran especially),
>
> my setup with external PPS has started showing basic signs of life.

[...]
> I'm attaching a crude beta of my servo proggie, based on Mr.
> Cochran's example.

For the record, I've implemented a simple software-side filter
on the ext_PPS events, so that only leading edges are considered
by the servo.
And I've re-written the program a bit, but it's mostly convenience
addons (getopt parsing, comments...) - the key parts by Mr. Cochran
are still firmly in place.

I'm attaching my "release candidate", along with a manpage.
As the program depends on existing parts of the linuxptp project,
I've also added a Makefile patch that adds my i210_ext_pps
to the build process.

Attached you'll also find a minimal pinout of the common Intel/HP/etc
i210 PCI-e nic (board) - note: the input is not 5V tolerant, 3.3V
only! ...and an example output (trace, log) from the proggie.
I cannot stop grinning... within 10 ns with the basic uncompensated
Xtals. Unbelievable.

Unlike Mr. Cochran's original that used the first NIC as a PPS
source, my cut of the program depends on an external PPS source,
all the NIC's are PPS consumers.
The program needs to run all the time, as it propels the servo loops
that keep the NIC PHC's aligned to external PPS (this is not an
autonomous function of the i210 hardware).

I hope it helps someone.

Frank Rysanek