Hello,

Since I see the subject is ethernet padding I would like to mention what
we use together with PTP:

A timestamping card which adds 9 bytes of VSS-monitoring trailer to the
ethernet packet.

Depending on the exact value of the timestamp, wireshark can misdetect
it and show a "wrong" FCS plus 5 bytes padding, see
https://github.com/boundary/wireshark/blob/master/epan/dissectors/packet-vssmonitoring.c#L139

I'm attaching a small capture where you can see traffic from 2 NICs, one
which adds a trailer to all incoming packets and one which does not.
I am anonymizing the MAC vendor for the timestamping card.