Can you justify why we should *always* want this? perhaps there's
reason to want a different subnet.

This patch was the minimal, localized change required to address a
problem we were seeing in our PTP application. Where an interface had
multiple IP addresses, this change made source address selection
deterministic, rather than random. Random didn't work.

We already force the specific interface via its index, so this only
helps in the case where there are multiple subnets on the same
interface..

Correct. Multiple IP subnets on a single physical interface isn't an unusual networking configuration.

Would it make better sense to allow a configuration option to specify
which subet?

Maybe. Maybe not. We needed ptp4l to be consistent. Adding a
configuration item would have taken considerably more time and effort to implement. Adding a configuration option is design consideration. The patch I've provided is one possible solution to the problem we encountered.

Best regards,

Bob Carter