Ok, it makes sense to be deterministic here, instead of random.

> > We already force the specific interface via its index, so this only
> > helps in the case where there are multiple subnets on the same
> > interface..
>
> Correct. Multiple IP subnets on a single physical interface isn't an
> unusual networking configuration.

Right.

> > Would it make better sense to allow a configuration option to specify
> > which subet?
>
> Maybe. Maybe not. We needed ptp4l to be consistent. Adding a
> configuration item would have taken considerably more time and effort to
> implement. Adding a configuration option is design consideration. The
> patch I've provided is one possible solution to the problem we encountered.

Sure. I'm just trying to understand the problem, and make sure that the
specific implementation solves the right problem.

It sounds like the problem isn't "it picked the subnet I didn't want" but
rather "different instances of ptp4l didn't consistently pick the same subnet,
but I don't really care which one they pick as long as it's stable"?

If it's the former, I'd rather see some sort of option that lets you specify
the subnet. However, being deterministic is reasonably useful.

Is my description of the second option accurate? Can you describe the symptoms
that happen when the wrong subnet is chosen?

Thanks,
Jake