On Fri, Jun 19, 2020 at 02:51:56PM +0300, Vladimir Oltean wrote:
> Could you please give a concrete example of why it isn't desirable for
> MSG_DONTWAIT to be specified on a socket where data availability has
> been previously confirmed through poll()? I'm not sure what the patch
> has to do with the industry having "plenty enough guess work and
> sloppy copy and paste as it is".

This is how the sockets API works.  Either you use poll or DONTWAIT,
not both.  Setting both shows that the author does not understand the
API, and that is not a signal that I am willing to send out into the
world.

So this isn't desirable simply as a matter of style, but style does
matter.

I appreciate that you (and I) spent long hours searching for a subtle
kernel bug, and that was very frustrating.  But it was a kernel bug,
and a singular one at that.  Production code does not and should not
need special instrumentation to catch rare kernel bugs.

Thanks,
Richard