On Wed, Jun 24, 2020 at 09:01:33PM +0300, Vladimir Oltean wrote:
> I think it boils down to something very simple.
> The kernel is waking up a user process with revents = POLLIN |
> POLLERR. That has a certain meaning.
> Then the process says "Oh, yay, I have revents = POLLIN. Let me
> process that!". That has an entirely different meaning.

I agree.

In this specific case, if POLLERR appears, it means that some unknown
error occurred, and the application can't do anything about it beyond
throwing a generic fault.  This is what I would call "defensive"
programming.

If and when the kernel introduces new POLLERR events, we will of
course implement the appropriate handlers.  But as of today there are
no such events to handle.

Thanks,
Richard