On Mon, 13 Mar 2023 at 12:12, Kamil Zaripov <zaripov-ka...@avride.ai> wrote:

> On 12 Mar 2023, at 14:18, Erez <erezge...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Sounds cool, but requires multiple clocks on the network interface.
> Hardware or logic using a single hardware clock.
> I do know that some do work on this.
> Both in kernel and on application level.
>
> If we talk about ptp4l I think that two processes that synchronise their
> access to the timestamping capabilities can run simultaneously on the same
> “physical” network interface. And this patch designed change only ptp4l
> process behaviour. It it affects other tools I need to fix it.
>
> Usually VLAN in Linux are deployed by adding a network interface for the
> VLAN.
> How is this patch feat to the Linux deployment of VLANs.
> Nor do I see how this patch integrates with using multiple clocks.
>
> Please enlighten us.
>
> Erez
>

> Actually I do not understand this question. Can you rephrase it?

As Richard explains. We use Linux VLAN.
For example see "Create the VLAN device"
https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/VLAN

The vlan interface should point to the PHC associated with the network
interface.

The only problem is what happens if on top of a single network interface,
 you have several PTP networks, using VLANs.
I do not refer to a bridge, but to an end device of several VLANs in which
each VLANs use a separate PTP network. For this case you need multiple PHC.

I assume you do not plan that yet.
But once we do, we will need support to select a network interface and a
PHP.
But till then the Linux VLAN interface should be sufficient.

Do you have other plans?

As for Bridge.
I am content with Richard replys.
ptp4l is used as a PTP end device only.
That could also explain why Richard did not like the virtual ports idea,
 as it might require the ptp4l to work as a virtual bridge :-)

Erez