> Le 2 janv. 2022 à 14:53, Christian Schoenebeck <schoeneb...@linuxsampler.org>
> a écrit :
>
> On Sonntag, 2. Januar 2022 14:42:55 CET Jerash music wrote:
>> Having worked with (and repairing) many midi keyboard controllers, I can say
>> that release velocity is not very common. Mainly available on high range
>> keyboard, often with weighted keys, piano style.
>>
>> Keyboard rubbers with triple sensors offer greater  definition so to have
>> the release velocity, but it can be implemented in the device firmware or
>> not, at manufacturer’s choice. Keyboard rubber with double sensor could
>> also do release velocity, but may miss some when the key is not fully
>> pressed before actual release. Here, again, the sent message depends on
>> firmware implementation.
>>> I suggest that that should only be the case when note  off velocity is
>>> actually zero.
>> I do agree with this, it totally makes sense to me.
>>
>> My 2 cents,
>> Raphaël
>
> Ok, but the core question still is: can we expect keyboards *with* note-off
> velocity sensors to *never* send note-off velocity zero?

Mmm, …yes it may be possible.
it may be possible to send a zero release velocity if the firmware calculates a
release velocity and includes a « timeout » for the maximum release time, and
then decides that timed out values are zero.
But I have not expressly tested it, and each manufacturer could have his own
vision.

I’ve been explained by Yamaha that the three contact rubbers are especially
useful for retriggering calculation of half pressed keys, but they did not talk
about release velocity calculation.
Maybe Doug Gray could try the following on his SL88 : « Release the key as slow
as possible in about 4 seconds » to try to reach the minimum release velocity
value.
As the keyboard rubber has three contacts, it could potentially send a zero
release velocity if you reach a timeout between two contacts releases. I’m not
sure if it is humanly possible to reach this potential timeout, as the contact
points are really really close. The real duration of this timeout is not
documented so needs testing.

Raphaël