On Sun, Jan 09, 2011 at 11:26:05AM -0600, Chris Bagwell wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 9, 2011 at 11:13 AM, Cedric Sodhi <man...@gmx.net> wrote:
> > Hi, this is a "wish" i had for the driver that I'd consider very useful.
> > I've recently written a simple bash script which scripts the
> > functionality of the button, an example the button on the wheel changes
> > which keycodes the wheel sumit and hence which function in cotrnols.
> >
> > If anyone is interested I'd like to share it.
> >
> > The problem is, where even that is kind of cumbersome, more complicated
> > interaction because a real pain in the arse. Since the driver will only
> > emit keyboard events, everything will go through X.
> >
> > Right now, I'm using my WM (openbox), to respond to the global keys to
> > control the behaviour. For example the touchring button emits Ctrl +
> > Shift + Alt + T which openbox catches and runs my script on, to change
> > the mappings and give feedback through osd_cat.
> >
> > And whereas I could do the same for all buttons and find the most exotic
> > keybindings to never collide with running programs, it becomes quite
> > cumbersom to continuously remap them, map the bindings in Openbox and so
> > on. The amount of required keybindings which are used NOWHERE else on
> > the system grows exponentially with functionality.
> >
> > All these problems would immediately be solved if, instead of
> > keybindings, actual programs could be bound to keys. It would greatly
> > simply certain methods and give us a great flexibilty to write our own
> > complex behaviour without any effort.
>
> Launching scripts from inside a driver is pretty much a non-starter I suspect.
>
> One idea that quickly comes to me is perhaps xsetwacom could be
> extended to allow at least a hand full of the special keys defined in
> X11/XF86keysym.h.  Those "internet keyboard" ones are basically meant
> to launch scripts and not be used directly by end applications.  So
> although conflict can occur, they will be smaller I think and user can
> use standard GUI tools (Gnome Keyboard Shortcuts for example) to bind
> to your scripts as needed.

Might you elaborate on why this would be a "non-starter". I don't see
any per se reason why this would not be possible, useful and as-secure
as the current driver.

Internet or keyboard or not, in general you might also find ultra-exotic
keycombos on normal keyboards that will only collide with 2% chance.
However, that option of starting programs makes a lot of things
significantly easier.

If you argue against the very point that starting a program is
"insecure" or whatsoever, please explain why in particular and also
consider that I might aswell bind a keysequence that opens a terminal
(Usally Alt + F1) and executes an arbitrary command.