On Sun, Jun 26, 2011 at 7:43 PM, Ping Cheng <pingli...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 26, 2011 at 5:24 PM, Peter Hutterer <peter.hutte...@who-t.net>
> wrote:
>>
>> On Sat, Jun 25, 2011 at 01:05:49PM -0500, ch...@cnpbagwell.com wrote:
>> > From: Chris Bagwell <ch...@cnpbagwell.com>
>> >
>> > The feature never fully worked and bits have slowing been removed.
>> > Remove remaining in one swoop.
>> >
>> > As apart of removing logic, now store ABS_PRESSURE values in the more
>> > appropriate "pressure" location so that it can eventually be exposed in
>> > the Pressure axis that touch devices create but do not currently send.
>>
>> I do wonder how this works for ISDV4 devices where the capacity still
>> comes
>> in through capacity, not pressure. We don't have separate devices here
>> (unlike the bamboos). Any comments?
>
> I need to check the status of capacity (for ISDV4 touch) and pressure (for
> Bamboo touch ) since last information I got was they were both unreliable.
> That's why I didn't use them.

The ISDV4 status would be good to know (although doesn't affect patch
since I deleted its reference).

For Bamboo's, I've got two answer for you from personal experience.

First up, the old-new Bamboo's (the 0xD0 to -0xD3 that we added
support for over a year ago) support pressure readings just fine; at
least as good as you'd expect for such low resolution as touching
allows.

With this patch set, I'm able to use MyPaint and Gimp and do some
drawings with pressure support.  As a side note, Henrik's patch to
linut-input for initial Bamboo support kept the pressure support in
and I suspect he found it working fine as well or wouldn't have
included that.

But next, we have the new-new Bamboo's.  From my remote monitoring of
packets, it looks like pressure support was removed from that
firmware.  So at some point, we will need to update kernel drivers and
remove ABS_PRESSURE from those specific devices.  And probably, we
should update xf86-input-wacom to detect devices that do not advertise
ABS_PRESSURE and then not create the pressure axis.

Chris