On Sun, Aug 7, 2011 at 11:58 PM, Peter Hutterer
<peter.hutte...@who-t.net> wrote:
> [...]
>> > tablet will cause other attached tablets to reset some of their
>> > properties back to the default. My system (Arch Linux; kernel
>> > 2.6.39.1-1; xorg-server 1.10.2-1) and Ping's install of Fedora 15 both
>> > exhibit the behavior, though I was unable to reproduce it on a VM of
>> > Ubuntu 11.04. I've tested with the latest git as well as 0.11.0 and
>> > the issue was present in both.
>> >
>> > Properties that are being reset include:
>> >  * Area
>> >  * PressureCurve
>> >  * Mode
>> >  * TabletPCButton
>> >  * Touch
>> >  * Rotate
>>
>> Are you running Gnome desktop?  This sounds like the list of
>> properties that gnome-settings-daemon is now controlling; even though
>> there is no GUI related to it yet.
>
> right, that is what I'd assume too. use gesttings to flick the various
> values and check if that's what they're being reset to.
> plus, with any bug it's usually good to reproduce in a plain X session
> without a DE running to rule the desktop environments out.
>
> the above are exactly the 6 that gnome-settings-daemon supports, albeit the
> GUI has been mostly an exercise in frustration so far.
>
> Cheers,
>  Peter
>

>> Peter will have to chime in but I *think* that it doesn't support
>> per-tablet values for this list and when you plug in a new tablet it
>> probably sets up new tablet with fixed values and maybe resets old
>> tabets back to what it assumes are same values.
>>
>> So partly issue is using two ways to control properties (g-s-d and
>> xinput/xsetwacom) and partly gnome not having per-tablet support.
>>
>> Here is example for just TabletPCButton:
>>
>> gsettings set org.gnome.settings-daemon.peripherals.wacom tablet-pc-button
>> true
>>
>> I see no per-device name in that string and why I think its a global value.
>>
>> Chris
>>

>> > Testing procedure:
>> >  1. Have at least one tablet plugged in
>> >  2. `xsetwacom set $FIRST_TABLET_STYLUS area 1 2 3 4`
>> >  3. `xsetwacom get $FIRST_TABLET_STYLUS area`
>> >  4. Plug in another tablet (unplugging and replugging a 2nd tablet
>> > works as well)
>> >  5. `xsetwacom get $FIRST_TABLET_STYLUS area`
>> >  6. See if the output from step 3 and 5 are different
>> >
>> > I did a little poking around in GDB to see if I could figure out
>> > what's going on, but I'm missing the server's debug symbols at the
>> > moment. What little I can tell though is that wcmSetProperty is being
>> > called by XIChangeDeviceProperty for several (all?) tablets after the
>> > newly-hotplugged tablet is completely initialized. Tying back in with
>> > the original issue, this causes the Top/Bottom X/Y settings to be
>> > immediately reset to their defaults...
>> >
>> > Anyway, I won't be able to do much poking around on this over the
>> > weekend, but I figured I'd let the list know in case somebody else is

Good call. I thought it might be g-s-d at first, but didn't find any
keys in gconf... I completely forgot that there's also dconf now. I'll
make some edits to the configuration section of the wiki to mention
gnome-settings-daemon as yet another way of doing things, with a note
about it trampling other settings at the moment.

Having never looked at g-s-d before, how hard would it be to have it
only apply its settings to the single tablet it got a hotplug event
for?

Jason

---