On Wed, Jan 4, 2012 at 4:34 PM, Cedric Sodhi <man...@gmx.net> wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I hope you can shed a little light on this, multitouch is a complete
> mystery to me. I know that my eGalax is running fine with the
> hid-multitouch these days but I'm completely irritated as for what is
> required to actually get multitouch support in X.
>
> I didn't need it so far, but as of today, I do. I know my xorg (1.11.2)
> runs XI2, as I can get its values from xinput, but now? Currently, I'm
> still using the wacom driver for the eGalax, which doesn't seem very
> multitouchy to me.
>
> I know there is a bright and sunny future in the pipeline where
> everything is being reworked on the kernel an X side of things and
> everything will go up into the GREAT UNIFICATION OF X11 POINTERS, but
> that's about all I know.
>
> Could you provide a remote hint what I need to do so that the
> touchscreen's MT caps actually make it into X and don't die uselessly
> after the kernel handled it? In particular, I'd like a multitouch
> capable Qt application to pick it up.

Are you looking for simple gestures like a synaptics touchpad would
support?  If so then xf86-input-wacom is pretty good choice
(especially after upgrading to todays git, it has some good gesture
fixes).  Use xsetwacom or xinput to enable on touch device if they are
disabled by default.

Or are you looking for raw MT events so you can do your own gesture
logic?  If so then check out Peter's blog on near term X plumbing
updates: http://who-t.blogspot.com/

If you want things to be already nice and your toolkits provide some
nice abstraction then your out of luck.

Or perhaps you can install latest version of Ubuntu and check out
their uTouch stuff and any custom Qt patches they ship.  They are
probably furthest along with exposing MT to toolkits although their
API's are likely to change in each release since they are not using
the above official plumbing yet.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Multitouch

Chris