On Wed, May 2, 2012 at 5:33 PM, Favux ... <favux...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I saw Ubuntu patch libwacom for the BambooPT just before Precise came
> out.  It did fix the Tablet applet crash but I didn't understand the
> crash given:
> [0xfffff]
> Name=General Pen
> Buttons=2
> HasEraser=true
> Type=General
>
> This brings us back to the generic styli discussion in February.  I
> thought the conclusion was since consumer tablets don't have a serial
> id for the stylus we were to use either nothing or:
> Styli=0xfffff;
> If we used nothing the default would be 0xfffff anyway.  It the stylus
> lacked an eraser or only had one button the Tablet gui just wouldn't
> let it be configured.  But there was no point making generic styli for
> the permutations because there wasn't an ID to select them with.
>
> To reiterate the Bamboo Pen and Ones do not have eraser.  Nor do some
> of the tablet PCs.  Some of the tablet PCs have one button.  The
> N-Trig tablet PCs do not have an eraser.  None of the Waltops have an
> eraser as far as I know.
>
> For a tablet without an eraser is it safe to use?
> Styli=0xfffff;
>
> Jason established that if the base model tablet supports a stylus type
> that can come with or without an eraser, someone could buy and use a
> stylus with an eraser (as long as it was compatible) on a tablet
> originally sold with a stylus lacking an eraser.  So do we need to
> amend e.g. the bamboo-one.tablet file?  Styli= is left out, so the
> default is to 0xfffff, correct?  But if someone buys a stylus with an
> eraser that works on the Bamboo One that would presumably cause a
> crash.  Yes?

I don't know the cause of the crash yet. Even if the tool type was the
cause, we need to fix the crash in the code, not just by tool types.

To answer your other question, it is true users can buy a stylus with
eraser to work on a compatible tablet that does not originally come
with an eraser pen.

A simple solution to support all V4 tools is to allow easer for all V4
devices. We can not tell one tool from the other anyway. In control
panel, we display two styli, one without eraser and the other with
eraser. Users have to select the tool they are using to be able to
configure it.

Ping