On Tue, May 29, 2012 at 2:53 PM, Ping Cheng <pingli...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, May 28, 2012 at 11:04 PM, Peter Hutterer
> <peter.hutte...@who-t.net> wrote:
>> On Fri, May 25, 2012 at 03:10:44PM -0700, Jason Gerecke wrote:
>>> I was just made aware of an interesting naming issue for libwacom /
>>> gnome-control-center that I wanted people's opinion on.
>>>
>>> Looking at the Intuos5 configuration page, g-c-c claims that I can
>>> configure its "Intuos4 Grip Pen". On seeing this, some users (e.g.
>>> those who've never used an Intuos4) may be confused by the
>>> contradictory information in front of them. We could remove the tablet
>>> name from the pen and leave just "Grip Pen", but then you may confuse
>>> other users (e.g. those who've upgraded from Intuos3 to Intuos5) into
>>> thinking that their old pens are compatible with their new tablet. We
>>> could dynamically generate the name on the fly so that they see
>>> "Intuos5 Grip Pen", but that may confuse other users (e.g. those
>>> who've upgraded from Intuos4 to Intuos5) into thinking that old pens
>>> are *not* compatible.
>>>
>>> Thoughts? Opinions?
>>
>> lame, but possibly less confusing is "Intuos4-compatible"? we also have that
>> problem with the I4-compatible pens and the Cintiqs, isn't it?
>
> Intuos 3 and Cintiq 21UX1 share tools.
>
> Intuos 4, 5, and Cintiq 21UX2, 24HD share tools
>
>> we could also rename the current series to simply "Wacom Grip Pen" (as on
>> the website) and the models for older series with the tablet name (Wacom
>> Intuos3 blah). Of course, then you'd have to pinky-swear that you're not
>> going to release a newer, different, model :)
>
> We can not tell future :). But we know what we have now.
>
> So, how about we classify them with tool version/generations?
>
> "Wacom Grip Pen1" => for Intuos 1;
> "Wacom Grip Pen2" => for Intuos2;
> "Wacom Grip Pen3" => I3 and Cintiq 21UX1;
> "Wacom Grip Pen4" => I4, I5, and Cintiq 21UX2, Cintiq 24HD.

After trying those names in g-c-c, I think "Wacom" is unnecessary. The
tools are already in "Wacom Graphics Tablet" panel. Removing Wacom
gives us Grip Pen1, Pen2... Then it is hard to tell if it is the
second Grip Pen for the same Intuos2 tablet or something. Since V5
tools support serial numbers, one tablet could have multipe tools of
the same type.

I am back to Peter's compatible suggestion. Does the following work
for you guys:

"Intuos Classic Pen" => for Intuos;
"Intuos2 Classic Pen" => for Intuos2;
"Classic Pen (I3-compatible)" => for I3 and Cintiq 21UX1;
"Classic Pen (I4-compatible)" => for I4, I5, and Cintiq 21UX2, Cintiq 24HD.

Ping